Monday, December 15, 2008

White Rock Marathon

Will cheering "the cow" on. I don't know if it was a promotion for Chick Fil A or what, but the kids loved seeing this guy. Other interesting people: the inevitable Santas and Elvises, the man who has run 105 marathons this year (why???), the lady who wore the shirt that said "I'm single" on the front and "catch me if you can" on the back, the sick children who crossed the finish line with their sponsoring groups in wheelchairs or whatever means necessary as a huge crowd cheered them on, the senior citizens and amputees with artificial limbs who were running-and at fairly impressive clips I might add...it was so interesting to see all the different people who come out!
At one point, we were waiting a little longer for Eric to pass than we had anticipated and the kids had to find ways to entertain themselves...
Michaela and Brittani were kind enough to help me with the kids from stop to stop-thanks to the whole Malec family for all your help!
Cheering on the runners-the sign got cut off, but we were standing right in front of the "Suicide and Crisis Center" I might have been heading in there if I was in the marathon-I think this was the 22 mile marker.
Waiting for Daddy-Maggie had just fallen asleep as we got there and the 40 mile an hour winds woke her up!
More entertaining-hide and seek
That's Will, Brittani, and Michaela running with Eric at one point. Their mom, Natalie, ran with him for about a mile but I didn't get any pictures for some reason!
Maggie and Allie Grace hanging out after the race was over. Thanks to the Garcias for coming out to support Eric!
I had promised Maggie she could run with him the next time we saw him, but he had picked up the pace at this 24 mile crossing point and we missed him. She chased after him for a little while, but we had to book it to meet him at the finish line!
He stopped to grab the kids so they could cross the finish line with him!
I think Will was just as tired as Eric after all the running around he had done chasing him!
Joel, Eric, me, Michaela, Will, Mark, Brittani, Natalie, Blake, Leanna, Allie, Maggie, Cade

We're so proud of Eric for running in the marathon! He decided he wanted to do this because his friend Kevin had started running them awhile back. After about a month of good training, he hurt his foot and had to put the breaks on running for about a month. But in true Eric fashion, he laced up his running shoes and completed the race after hardly any training. Maybe now he'll go to the doctor and get his foot healed before his next one in February (hint hint Daddy). We're so proud of you!

2 comments:

Wendy said...

Ahh, that's awesome Eric! Way to go! I wouldn't have made it half a mile...seriously. I get winded playing chase with Ethan around the living room...how sad.

Mindy said...

Great job to your hubby! I cant believe how big maggie is getting every time I read your blog. She is a little girl now huh! No more baby. Your whole family is precious. :)